Types of Eating Disorders
There are several types of eating disorders. The most common are anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Each type has its own specific symptoms.
Symptoms of anorexia nervosa (restricting diet):
- Dramatic weight loss in a relatively short period of time
- Obsession with calories and fat content of foods
- Obsession with being fat
- Fear of eating with other people
- Food rituals. Examples: Cutting the food into tiny pieces, separating the food on the plate and mixing it back together
- Hiding food in strange places to avoid eating it (like in closets and sock drawers)
Did You Know
5 to 10% of people with eating disorders die of medical complications as a result of their eating disorder.
Symptoms of bulimia nervosa (binge/purge):
- Obsession with weight and complaining of weight problems even if average weight or thin
- Frequent trips to the bathroom immediately following meals
- Use of diet pills, laxatives, ipecac syrup or enemas
- Exercising several hours per day / Exercising in the middle of the night
- Hiding food to eat at a later time
- Negative self-talk, especially after food consumption
Individualized treatments are always recommended and the sufferer's health is priority number one. Immediate hospitalization may be required to stabilize someone suffering from an eating disorder. Additionally, there are some important things to understand about dealing with someone suffering from an eating disorder:
- Realize there is no quick and easy solution.
- Get professional help from someone experienced in treating eating disorders. This would include a physician, psychiatrist, therapist (individual or family), and a dietitian.
- Don't make your love a condition of the individual's appearance, health, or weight.
- Listen to his/her needs in areas other than food.
- Avoid power struggles about weight.
- Don't let the eating disorder dominate the household.
- Don't be manipulated.
- Don't panic. Get informed and get help!
Regain the Control
While eating disorders may supply a false sense of control, it quickly becomes clear that the eating disorder can take control of a person's life. But you don't have to surrender your family and your life to the ravages of an eating disorder. Help is available. Let MyExpertSolution help you find the information and guidance you need to conquer eating disorders.
MyExpertSolution and You
Start your journey today. Join MyExpertSolution, where an Expert on eating disorders is waiting to understand your situation, provide personalized answers to your questions, recommend audio resources, articles, products, and individualized solutions to educate and empower you to make positive changes in your life.
With MyExpertSolution, you are not alone! Your membership makes you part of the extensive MyExpertSolution community. You can browse the questions asked by other members about eating disorders and read the Expert responses. (Of course everyone's identity always remains protected.) Enjoy access to the complete audio library and library of Expert articles, and get up to a 25% member discount on MES products.
Feel the difference with a personal, tailored experience with MyExpertSolution. The information on MyExpertSolution is the result of Experts responding to real people, like you, asking real questions and seeking real solutions. Every day there are new answers, new articles, new products, and new audio resources because our Members are asking new questions and our Experts are responding!
Learn more about membership and, for a limited time, receive a bonus question when you join the MES community. May you find the joy and fulfillment you deserve. Join Now!
Start today and get the personal solutions you need to live the happy, healthy life you deserve!